E-3 Professional for Australian

The E-3 nonimmigrant visa classification was created pursuant to the Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA).

U.S. employers may employ citizens of Australia under the E-3 category in certain, limited professions for up to two year at a time. The period of employment may be renewed indefinitely.

In summary, E-3 visa is suitable for:

  • Foreign professionals from Australia seeking temporary work in specialty occupations. The term “specialty occupation” is defined as an occupation that requires a specialized knowledge as well as an attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States. The definition of specialty occupation under the E-3 classification is essentially the same as the definition for H-1B classification.
  • U.S. companies to bring in qualified foreign professionals from Australia for jobs that require a bachelors degree and specialized skills
To qualify for an E-3 visa, an applicant must demonstrate:
  • that he or she is a national of Australia
  • that he or she has a legitimate offer of employment in the United States
  • that the offer of employment is in a position that qualifies as “specialty occupation” employment

Spouse and Children: The spouses, as well as children of the E-3 visa holder can apply for an E-3D (dependent) visa. Spouses of E-3 visa holders are entitled to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) through the USCIS, and engage in employment in the United States upon authorization of EAD.