Change of Status

If you wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies in the United States, you may be eligible for one of two nonimmigrant student categories. The "F" category is for academic students and the “M” is for vocational students.

If you wish to participate in an exchange program you may be eligible for the “J” category for exchange visitors. The J visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.

U.S. Federal Tax Information

Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income.

Student and visitor visa types

Academic and Vocational
(F and M visas)
F-1 Academic students
F-2 Spouses and children of F-1
F-3 Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students
M-1 Vocational students
M-2 Spouses and children of M1
M-3 Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students
Exchange Visitors
(J visas)
J-1 Exchange visitors
J-2 Spouses and children of J-1